Not all Kindle applications work on the newest Kindle 4 model without a keyboard ($79 with special offers and $99 without). If you are purchased apps in the past for your Kindle 2 or Kindle 3, these apps will show up in the “Archived Items”. But when you will try to download them you will get a message telling you “Item Not Available – This item is not available for this device type”.
Amazon has foreseen that trying to use apps designed for physical keyboard on a device that doesn’t have it will not be enjoyable. So they hand-picked 20 applications that don’t rely on keyboard and would do just fine with 5-way controller.
If you just purchased Kindle 4 or planning to and are wondering which apps will run on your device, here’s a list of 20 (out of 145) Kindle app titles that do well without a keyboard:
- Triple Town (A Puzzle Strategy Game for Kindle)
- Match Genius (A Memory Puzzle Game)
- Brain Bump Literature (A Trivia Game for Book Lovers)
- Tic Tac Toe (A Classic Game for Kindle)
- Fast Food Calories – Calorie Counter (A Reference Tool for Kindle)
- Ultimate Movie Quiz (A Trivia Game for Kindle)
- Ultimate Sci-Fi Quiz (A Trivia Game for Kindle)
- Peg Solitaire (A Puzzle Game for Kindle)
- Rockin Reversi (A Classic Game for Kindle)
- Ultimate Nature Quiz (A Trivia Game for Kindle)
- Reversi Deluxe (A Classic Game for Kindle)
- Blocked – Rescue the Block! (A Game for Kindle)
- Ultimate Music Quiz (A Trivia Game for Kindle)
- Pirate Stash (A Free Game for Kindle)
- Kids’ Classic Card Games (Kids Card Games for Kindle)
- Ultimate Math Skills Quiz (A Math Game for Kindle)
- Ultimate Shakespeare Quiz (A Shakespeare Trivia Quiz)
- Link Four (A Game for Kindle)
- Jewels (A Game for Kindle)
- Jewel Quest Solitaire (A Solitaire Game for Kindle)
I’ll keep updating this list periodically and will update app reviews themselves with list of Kindle platforms that app supports.